Friday, March 5, 2010

Not sad......just feeling BLUE!

 Blue - Blue - Blue
Am I the only person who finds it hard to find a trully blue flower? Every year I look for annuals, pernnials that would work in a red, white and blue flower bed or pot and I just can't find a good blue.


I Love Iris' and they come in so many amazing purple colors, like this iris with a 'blue' tongue or...


this Iris with a such a deep rich hue of purple.................or


almost blue but still purple.............

I can find all colors of Clematis - just not blue and Delphinimums are abundant in rich purples...

Just NOT blue.

I can find white with purple or


Purple with white but NOT blue!!

My shrubs are purple, and the bees really like purple but I need a BLUE!

Even our wildlfowers are purple, in the fields.....

Along the fences and ...............


and in our open fields.........but where can I find BLUE!!!


Oh, here is one of my two True Blue friends - Mr. Flax, can you see him peeking through the purple? Flax is absolutley beautiful and a definte true blue, just he only nods his head for a short while in early summer and my other true blue friend is the Bachelor Button, just don't have a photo of him. How many of you out there know of some True Blue friends? I would love to find more blues to put in my garden and welcome any suggestions.

Even though it is late Friday I am joining in with Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time - where a person could just get lost dreaming of spring and the flowerst to come.

13 comments:

beckyw said...

Yep, flax is it.... or turn to a annual. YUCK! I don't have much blue.... Mostly reds, yellows, purple, white. I like the "hot" colors. Oh, Mrs. Staab saw a robin yesterday! Whoot whoo!

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

The pictures of your flowers are Beautiful! Yes purple,lilac,lavender....but blue ? not any I can think of at the moment. Now I'll be thinking about this all night! lol Have a great weekend!

Self Sagacity said...

Hi Debbie! Wow, wow, wow! Those are so gorgeous! They are all pretty to me.

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

There's forget me nots too. Beautiful pics - especially of the Iris.

Darla said...

These are all pretty...forget me nots are blue and very reliable..

deb said...

Love all your purples! But alas true blue is hard to find. I have forget me nots, an annual but reseed readily so you don't have to reseed every year. BUT they don't bloom into summer. When it starts getting hot they succumb. I am where it gets to 100+, if you are in a cooler area they may last longer. Have a great weekend!
*hugs*deb

Autumn Belle said...

All the blues and purple are gorgeous. Love them all :)

Autumn Belle said...

I am promoting your blog in my sidebar for this week. Cheers!

Tootsie said...

I am the same...I love the BLUES....forget me not has a beautiful true blue..
great post with all the beautiful flowers!!!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi,
I put my link in late for Fertilizer Friday, so came to the person's blog who put their link in just before mine, and it was you.

I enjoyed your purple and blue flowers. I find flax doesn't live very long for me. I had lots of forget me nots last year, but they aren't reliable for me. The bachelor buttons don't live into summer.

Some of the larkspurs are blue, but more are purple. There are different types of a perennial called amsonia that have lovely small blue blooms in the spring, but they don't bloom for long. I cut mine back to keep the foliage looking nice and shaped how I want it so it doesn't flop over. Some of them have very pretty foliage in the fall. If you don't know what they are, I have some posts about them. I don't remember what zones they prefer, but I am in zone 5b, and am thinking they go a couple zones north and south. I just looked it up, and found the different ones have different zones, but they are 4 or 5 to 8 or 9.

Globe thistle and some sea hollies are blue, too.

Maureen said...

Beautiful flowers and scenery. Although it's a shrub, Hydrangea is blue. And beautiful! It lasts quite a while and sometimes you can get a second bloom.

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Gorgeous Flower pics! True blue is hard, I love purple, so I am lucky :-) I pair anemone bulbs with mini daffs in the spring and they are pretty blue. Bella

Self Sagacity said...

Beautiful flowers, do you have a follower button?

Followers

Search This Blog